Jr./Sr. High School Issues
Main Offices and Entrance Disconnect
Click for a floor plan that outlines some of the key issues at the Newmarket Jr./Sr. High School
Not Enough Overall Classroom Space
- Many classrooms are still below Department of Education standards for square footage.
- High percentage of classrooms in use during all periods.
- A number of teachers traveling to multiple instructional spaces.
- Storage crowds instructional spaces
Art Room is Separate from Other Services
- Currently HS art space is located across the street.
- MS Art space lacks storage and instructional space and is shared with another program.
Limited Space Dedicated to Special Education
- No space for pull out or small group instruction.
- Reading space is shared.
- Speech and language space not conducive to assessment, teaching or learning.
- Limited space for OT/PT/multisensory activities.
- Facilities for multi-handicapped are limited.
- Lack of privacy for meetings.
Poor Separation of Grades/Ages
- Crowded corridors by lockers and ducts
- Limited bathroom spaces.
Undersized Stage/Insufficient space for Music/Chorus
Outdated Main Entrance with Limited Security
Small Kitchen Limits Level of Service
- Capacity and space limits efficiency and quality.
- Kitchen and service delivery/dumpster at main entrance
Inefficient Drop-Off Area
- Can be inefficient and lacks supervision with two lanes of traffic.
- Drivers and buses use same entrance.
- Parking spaces are limited.
Old, Inefficient HVAC Systems
- Duct work is exposed.
- Heating/ventilation in rooms is an issue.
Not Fully-ADA Compliant
Lack of Storage Areas
Outdated Multimedia Services
Cramped Administrative Support Areas
- Meeting space and PD space are lacking.